Kiwi is healthy for humans, as they provide a lot of nutrients in one bundle. They are one of the most well-liked fruits on earth.
Can Hamsters Eat Kiwi?
Yes, hamsters can eat kiwi, but make sure to give in moderation. Why in moderation? Some might ask that kiwis are sweet, meaning that they have high sugar content. This high sugar content is not the best for your hamster.
Could I feed kiwis to him every day?
The simple answer is no, as the high sugar content can cause some complications that are not favorable. So always feed kiwis in moderation, preferably as a treat from now and then.
How Should I Feed My Hamster Some Kiwi?
Firstly, about the amount that you should feed your hamster, keep it in moderation. This moderation means keeping the amount to two to three times a week, depending on the breed and age of your hamster.
Never give it more than what is told, as it may cause some health complications. Some can even lead to death.
As for the breed, as mentioned before, different species have different sugar needs. So, it would be best if you arrange wisely before feeding kiwis to your hamster. Some breeds need more sugar, where others might need much less of it. It is better to ask a vet about your breed’s sugar intake, as they have the first-hand experience on the subject.
What about the size that I should cut it?
This question is one that is commonly asked by many new owners of hamsters. The recommended size of kiwis that you should give your hamster is that each size should be miniature, almost the size of their paws.
Before providing them with the kiwi, always peel off the skin with a peeler, wash it, and slice it up. Why do you peel the skin off? Your hamster cannot digest the skin. Also, remember to remove the seed, as they might cause some digestion problems.
How Should I Introduce Kiwis to My Hamster?
Introductions to anything, let it be that you are meeting something or someone for the first time or introducing kiwis to your hamster for the first time, it should be the best impression. So for a good impression, you must introduce kiwis to your hamster in a staggered manner rather than a rapid one.
So, after introducing your hamster to kiwis for the first time, look at their reaction. Remember that their responses can vary as not all the hamsters are the same; some may like it, whereas others may not. So let them take their time while starting.
For the whole day, check them for any symptoms, as they may be a sign of an allergy, or the hamster did not like the kiwi. If that is the instance, there are many more treats that you can feed your pet hamster. But, if they were showing signs, stop immediately.
Some Words from A Hamster Owner:
- Hamsters usually like to store food items to eat later, and kiwis, once peeled, will not last that long in the open. So, make sure to clean the place where your hamster stays.
- As for the breed, as mentioned before, different species have different sugar needs. So, it would be best if you arrange wisely before feeding kiwis to your hamster. Some breeds need more sugar, where others might need much less of it. It is better to ask a vet about your breed’s sugar intake, as they have the first-hand experience on the subject.
- Make sure to sit with them while feeding the treats to keep a keen eye on what they do with the Kiwi.
What Are the Nutritional Benefits?
Kiwis contain Antioxidants, Carbohydrates, Fibers, Sodium, Potassium, Protein, Sugar, Water, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E. These nutrients are beneficial for your hamster, as it allows them to lead a healthy life onwards.
What Varieties Could I Feed It?
- Hardy Kiwis – They are comparatively a bit sweeter in some cases, and in others, they are bitter. They do not make the best kiwis feed your hamster in any situation that you may be.
- Fuzzy Kiwis – They are the most commonly found throughout the world, especially in the supermarket near you. They are sweet and are suitable for a hamster in small slices.
- Artic Kiwis – Avoid feeding your hamster these kiwis at any cost. They have the highest sugar content among them all.
Are there any Side affects to feeding Hamster with Kiwis?
As mentioned before, kiwis are rich in sugar. This high concentration of sugar can lead to obesity and diabetes in your furry friend. These problems can further lead to many other health complications that might end up shortening the life span of your dear friend.
The most common occurrence is diarrhea. This diarrhea is due to the intake of excess water. For both these problems, thankfully, there is a solution. That solution is to feed them in moderation and always follow it no matter what happens.
Also, a pro tip, hamsters usually are animals who like to store food items to eat later, and kiwis, once peeled, will not last that long in the open. So, make sure to clean the place where your hamster stays.
Hamsters can eat kiwis safely, but always in moderation. If not, it can lead to specific problems. Sometimes, your furry friend might not like kiwis; that was their preference. Whereas others may love it so much, if so, you have found one of your hamster’s favorites.
A good slice of kiwi will not harm your hamster if you keep it as a treat that rewards him. So, why don’t you try feeding your hamster some?